Well, my friends, this is it. In the mere two years since I started blogging to keep myself from a random killing spree, we have a true shot at redeeming ourselves here in the US of A. And make no mistake, when I say "this is it", I really mean it. Things must change. Our country can no longer bear the idiocy and incompetence that has oozed it's way into our body politic because of the knee-jerk voting habits of the ultra-religious (and hyper hypocritical) "base" of the right. Reasoned people are running for office this year. Good people that found that rising to the challenge of governance meant doing so out of the desire to see true change, not as an opportunity to become part of the Washington meat grinder that churns out a new corrupt lobbyist every time someone is leaving political office. No, there is no way to overstate this, things must change.
I will vote today, and in doing so, I bring with me a belief system just like many of the people I vehemently disagree with, but what I'd like to think is that my beliefs are second to my desire to see our government finally act out of the desire to help all of the people that reside here, not just the ones who look at life in the same way as I do. To me, the single issue voter is a loaded gun. A narrow-minded tactical weapon used to sway elections away from issues that will effect more than the people on their block. The "morality" based wedge-issue is their fuse, and what's been interesting in this election cycle is how little prominence the press has been giving them this year (aside from Iraq of course). I'm not saying I would wish to suppress the votes of the so-called "values voters", but what I would like is that if you belong to any group who chooses to demonize others for their behavior while ignoring the hypocrisies your leaders, I would prefer that these folks would stay home until such time as they have educated themselves on more than one issue dictated to them by their pastor by simply reading their states voting guide.
We have a right to vote. All of us do. It is our fundamental right and duty in this country. Don't let apathy or intimidation or any other such force imposed upon you deter you from what you need to do today. Most of all though, vote with a well informed conscience. It's your vote cast and yours alone. No one will know what you've said to the country in doing so, it's private. So say what you will to us today with a clear mind. As far as what you say, well, that's up to you. Good luck.
3 comments:
that's it! you have my vote! er, i mean, i'm voting - but i want to vote for you!!
finx said i have to say something nice and couldn't meanly ask you to post more often , so i guess i'll say that i miss hearing from you guys here. xoxo
PS. Finx, stop imitating me when I'm typing.
i'd like to 2nd the request for more co-blogs from Finx and Vuduvgn. Miss 'em! :) Lizzy
Post a Comment