Monday, August 21, 2006

I'm still here

I'm pretty sure no one is reading this blog anymore, but if they are, just read the title. Most of the reason I've halted major operations on this site have to do with being physically unable to sustain the necessary amount of rage needed to write a really good and informed post. Politics, bahh! You see, in the intervening time, I've found it much more helpful to release my need to pursue truth and justice in the broader world we live in and focus on something much more pointed and urgent. I've become a capitalist. It's a wonderful thing. You should all try it some time.

Gone are the days when Mid East struggles boiled my blood and forced me into a mad tail chasing effort to eviscerated all who caused the world I once loved to tumble into chaos. No, now I just plan how much more I can get for the rental on my next job or how fat the business account is getting due to my rapid succession of 16 hours days. Yep, I'm sellin' out, I want the world to know, I've got to let it show!

Screaming "Money Fucking Rocks!" from every roof top in glamorous Sherman Oaks might mitigate some of the stress I've accumulated along with the rising pile of cash.... aaaahh crap. Who am I kidding here, I'm still broke. I'm just trying to believe some of my own hype right now so I don't freak out and run screaming from this little all consuming vortex of a business I've started.

Why do we encourage Americans to do this rather than vote? What is it about the fable of the American entrepreneur that seems to draw in millions more good hard working people rather than local city council elections? Why aren't I doing more to help the world rather than... well, making more money I can't seem to hold onto. The only reason I can come up with goes back to a daydream I had this morning.

Somehow, (either by Lotto or Gates Foundation grant) I had become unimaginably wealthy and imagined myself using every dime I had to buy CNN. Instantly, people such as Joe Scarborough and Nancy Grace were "put on notice", and I clearly let them know if they didn't start to practice real journalism, their heads were gonna roll. I was a tough boss and even though some hated me, they still respected what I was doing.

Then came the grand daddy of all fantasies. One day (as I believe truly happens) an administration official, someone of a Roveian stature, comes to visit me in my office. This official sits across from me and informs me that the president is unhappy with the recent left-leaning slant my network was taken. I sit and listen to a very long and veiled threat about regulations and tax breaks that will never come to pass if I play ball. It is at this point that I smile as I rise from my non-leather clad chair and inform him that everything he has just said has been tapped by a hidden camera crew and this meeting would lead this evenings news. Impeachments soon follow somehow.

I don't think the fantasy holds much water when it comes to the finer legal points or my ability to wrangle a couple billion dollars, but the point is still the same, money equals power. For now, this is the over ridding equation. So maybe this is why I've chosen the dizzyingly complex world of micro-finance, it's just one way to feel some pull in the world run by the shadow democracy of money. Too bad it'll keep me fixated on making more money instead of on the real matters of import. Weird thing is though, I'm enjoying it. CNN here I come!

1 comment:

nikoline said...

your best post. ever. never doubt your abilities and talents. you will change the world and, indeed, already are.