Well, hello again my friends. I feel like I should start by saying how sorry I am that I haven't kept up my end of the blogging bargain here at the Dispatch, but I think that I've come back just at the right time. As I'm sure you all know by now, I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, Vice President Dick Cheney's Chief of Staff, has been indicted by a Federal grand jury on five separate counts and has subsequently resigned. Yahoo! It's Miller Time!... Or is it?
You see, this is the least possible damage the White House could sustain considering both Karl Rove and Dick Cheney have had their grubby little fingerprints discovered all over this whole affair. I mean, who's ever really heard about this "Scooter" fellow anyway? Well, maybe most of the people reading this, but certainly not millions of other Americans who've allowed far bigger crooks to be re-elected year after year. No, I'm afraid what has happened here is that the sloppiest of the criminals in this administration have been nabbed, but by no means the worst.
There is still hope given the open-endedness of Fitzgerald's investigation, but I fear unless Scooter rolls on some of the most powerful and vicious people in the world, this thing is a dead duck that lays solely on Libby's doorstep. The real crime of pre-war deception can only be found and prosecuted by the people via it's Congress. God and the blogosphere knows if these were the days of Clinton... well, you know where I'm going with that one, heads on pikes, etc. etc.
It would seem the Teflon Don's of the White House have gotten themselves pretty well insulated... for now. After all, there is this little nagging question of what might happen in '06. It seems a foregone conclusion that the Senate would get involved in some serious digging if the Democrats found their way into the majority position again. But they will truly have to fight for it because these Reds are a formidable foe. "Time to take the gloves off", as the minions of their torture squads say. It seems a good time to expose the real motives of these people. A time to really speak to the subtext of all of the political wrangling. What if something like this (link) ran as a campaign ad? Would people see it as too much? Leftist propaganda?
The only thing a could ask in responce is, why? Why is it too hard to imagine that these people really don't care about you? Just look at what they did to Joe and Valerie Wilson and tell me that they care. Look at how they knowingly lied to us and tell me that they really considered breaching your trust. They didn't. We mean nothing to these people. None of this is about us. It's about profit taking and exploitation. It's about saying and doing whatever it takes to keep from getting caught in their lies. Even if it means throwing your friend on a grenade.
Poor Scooter. Let's hope he does us all a service and returns the favor to his "friends".
Otherwise, it'll be up to the Democratic Congress in the winter of '06 to sort this all out. Sleep tight Karl. Sweet dreams Dick. Man this stuff gets me goin'!
No comments:
Post a Comment